Saturday, April 23, 2005

Snow drifts and duffers

The annual golfing event is over. This year, the course was not plowed on the sea ice as the Municipality had problems obtaining the proper insurance for the event. At least, that is what has been relayed to me. So what does the city do? They plow a golf course atop a frozen lake instead. Somehow, I fail to understand the logic behind this but I do not understand local politics anyway. You cannot get insurance to cover a public event atop the sea ice but it is OK to hold the event atop a frozen lake.
The wind was wild blowing a steady 50K and gusting to 70k. The deep cap of snow covering the tundra was a flowing white sea.The drifting and blowing snow made the game difficult but not impossible. My foursome had all played off the tee to a "green" a mere 60 yards away. All of us landed within putting distance. The only problem was that the snow drifting so quickly, had completly filled the first hole. In fact, half of the "green" was covered in a rapidly advancing snowdrift. We decided that stricking the pin with the ball would count as the ball being holed. The pins were all made of rough cut knotty pine 2X2 lumber, each with it's own particular set of twists and warps. The top portion of each pin was tagged with a red flag. Hitting the pin looked easy but we found that it was harder than we had thought. The first hole was tough. I looked up to the second hole but was unable to locate it. The snow was blowing very hard creating white outs. A short walk reveled that the pin was only a mere 40 yards away. I had only brought a pitching wedge and a putter. The putter turned out to be useless. The pitching wedge should have been left at home and the lob wedge should have been the club of choice. So I pitch the ball up in the air where it promptly dissapears and goes to God knows where. I never found that ball. The ball was a bright fluorescent greenish yellowish colour. I still could not find it in the white sea. So I drop a ball, hit it to the green a foot from the hole. I was pleased. I walked up to the green and waited for the other players to approach. I watched my ball quickly get gobbled up in the drifting snow. I was quite amazed to watch the ball disapear before my very eyes. So i now reasoned that the ball will get buried before you can walk up to it in the blinding wind. I got 4 strokes having to take a one stroke penalty for losing a ball. The third hole held some promise. The wind suddenly decided to let up for a time. This made it much easier to play the remaining holes. I finished the nine hole couse with a nasty 39 strokes. My brother in-law had finished with 24 strokes. He made 4 of 9 holes with 2 strokes. How he did this while fighting snow,wind and wearing a large down parka complete with windpants,dark goggles, hat, scarf and gloves is beyond me.
So ends the spring time golf extraviganza. Now if only the snow would melt before the end of June, then I can play on dry land like I am supposed to do. Can't wait for the Tundra Golf Tourney on July 1, Canada Day!

No comments: