Sunday, August 21, 2005

Late Summer Golfing

The days of endless sun are over. Tundra golfing is getting harder to do every day now. After a long day at work, I try to get out on the course but I have to cook for the kids and get my daily chores done first. This leaves little time to golf. We still go out for a nine hole round but it is not unusual to have to get some light on the greens near the end of the game. Usually I will pull up the van and put the high beams on. It helps. It is not unusual for someone to hit a drive and wait to see if we can hear where it lands. Really.
THe ground is getting harder as the nights get cooler. Today's high of +8C and clear skies may have been the last warm day of the year.
The tundra golfers will continue to play even when the temperature dips below freezing. Even when there is an inch of snow on the ground. Even when herds of caribou overtake the course. There is a limit though. The days will not offer any sunlight after 5pm shortly.
The weekends will be colder and colder. The snow will build up in September. It will become impossible to play. Then I will have to put away my clubs and get back to work for the winter. A very long and very cold and very dark winter. A very golfless winter.
I guess that I will have to spend time snowmobiling and ice fishing.
I will have to look forward to the ice golf season in the spring.
Perhaps I could fly south and play a few rounds. It would not be the same unless I land in the rough every drive.
Hey! What am I talking about? There is still lots of time to get many games in. I will get pictures and post them. I will share this insanity with the world. Why not? I am so privledged to live in a place where one can do what ever one wants. The land is wide open and the air is clean. No overpopulated urban centers. No green fees.
No Green Fees.
Cool.

No comments: