Monday, June 13, 2005

49...

Ok, so I shot 49 strokes in a nine hole round. I must explain that I had lost 3 balls in the muskeg. They shall be found in some future civilization, as fossilized impressions. Upon thier discovery in the distant future, further excavation in search of artifacts shall be inspired. They shall find many hundreds of globular dimpled mineralized impressions. I know because I have lost over 500 golf balls in the muskeg at the tundra course. Many other tundra golfers have lost as many. So three extra strokes were due to the lost ball in the arctic spring golf ball eating swamp.
Net, 46 strokes.
I must also explain that hitting a ball off of wet moss is akin to hitting a ball off of a half frozen wet sponge. Many good lies were actually the worst lie you could end up with. A normal golf swing would require the golfer to hit down on the ball. Hitting the ball with a slight downward trajectory is what actually gets the ball in the air. That is if you are hitting a golf ball off a fairway on a carefully designed and properly landscaped stretch of land specifically made for the game of golf. I have no such luxury. The tundra course predates any other golf course by several million years. This predates landscaping, botanical agriculture, engineering and Burmuda Grass Greens. The result is that in some cases, hitting down on the ball just drills it into what looked like dry grass but was actually moss with the consistancy of green mud. The ball simply gets driven underground never to be seen again. We allow moving the ball to a spot where the ball is at least playable. I could have exercised that option on two occasions. I was lying on the dreaded green mud moss but figured that I could just pick the ball off of the moss. The ball drove into the ground and had to be retrieved. I of course, moved off of the golf ball eating moss on my next attempt at approaching the hole. Experience should have told me that I could not hit that shot. I threw away two strokes there, net 44.
The "green" on every hole is made of different pieces of carpet. Some of the carpets are shag. Some are indoor outdoor types. All of them are soaking wet and splayed with sand and gravel. We allow a quick sweep to remove pebbles and sand from the carpet. We even allow time out when a squeegee is needed to rid the area surrounding the hole of water. I was putting on a wet shag carpet with many pebbles and simply didn't clean away the debris. I was impatient. The putt was only 10 feet or so but I really had to strike it hard. A tall rooster tail of water sprayed up from behind my ball. I saw that it was going too slow to reach the hole. Then it hit the pebble and just stopped. A foot from the hole. The hole was rapidly filling up with melt water. There is still plenty of large snow drifts melting. All of the snow is gone except for the reminants of great snowdrifts that formed during the winter, from September to May. I missed six strokes because of melt water and pebbles. Net 38.
38. That is more like it.
I am happy with 38. Not an exceptional score but a rather good one.

No comments: