Thursday, June 16, 2005

Igloolik Golfer

I just returned from Igloolik. It was a balmy 2 degrees Celsius and very sunny when I had first arrived in Igloolik. There are still many patches of ice and snow strewn across the tundra. The sea ice looked beautiful from the air as I approached the landing strip. The ice displays a myriad of colours and hues of blue and turquoise. The colours change as the sun moves around in the sky. The sun moves around in the sky, without setting, at this time of year. Igloolik lies well above the arctic circle. (See the map at:
http://www.hallbeach.com/map-of-nunavut-map.htm)
The land is very flat in Igloolik. You can look in all directions across vast expanses. Landmarks are few and distant. The local people are very friendly. Many of the local Inuit were out camping or waiting for the goose egg harvest. There were many hunters on the sea ice working on providing thier families with fresh seal or arctic char. It is a peaceful place in the late spring.
I was walking around the streets of Igloolik when I spotted a young Inuit boy walking in an open area with a 3-wood thrown over his shoulder. He was looking for a golf ball. I just had to smile and think that maybe this young boy shall find a piece of rocky, gravely tundra and build a golf course on it. Igloolik is very rocky but there are patches of moss and soil here and there.

After I had finished my business in Igloolik, I had to return home to Iqaluit. When I got home, I had to build this electronic thingamagink for this sparky to install in Igloolik. I had to ship it to him right away. I put a dozen golf balls in the package. Hey, Igloolik is a small town and I know that those golf balls will get into the right hands.

No comments: