Saturday, June 11, 2005

Pre-season practice.

Today is a sunny day with light winds. An expected high of 8 degrees Celcius is in the forcast. I hear that there are three holes open at the Tundra Golf course. The rest remain buried in several feet of ice and snow. It is time to get out the golf clubs and dust them off.
I intend to play a nine hole round today. We shall play the three open holes thrice. The dress code of the day will include rubber boots, a good sweater, a cap and dark sunglasses. I will have to include a broom in my golf bag as the "greens" will undoubtedly be covered in sand and gravel. There will be lots of casual water and mud to deal with. I also must use fluorescent coloured golf balls in case I slice one into the snow.
The warm air may be uncomfortable at times as I am still climatized for the arctic winter. It has been a long and cold winter. There were days when the windchill was recorded at -76 degrees Celcius (That's -104.8F for you southern folk). Darn cold to be sure. So it is not a wonder that when I step out into the sun at +8C, I feel as though I am in the tropics.
This game we are going to play today is only a pre-season warm up. Snow and mud shall make some shots interesting. The constant sunlight may allow a midnight round as well. That depends on how many Rum and Coke I swill at the local Royal Canadian Legion tonight.
Now, where did I put that snow wedge?

1 comment:

Cool Dad said...

I rarely comment, but I read this blog religiously and I love it. It is a rare bit of honest fanaticism and reality. I am curious if you use the lift, clean, and place rule or if you play it as it lies. Oh, and is there any OB, cause I guess it would be hard to mark it with white posts, what with the snow.